Monday, January 19, 2009

This week I had a sweet and at the same time hilarious experience at church. A little boy Johnny, whose name has been changed due to the nature of the situation, stole something from his class. It was something that he didn't have at home and therefore needed desperately. In his mind, his class has more than they need and he didn't have any. His mom approached me Wednesday night and in the midst of children running in all directions trying to get to their classes, he stared down at the floor with one finger in his mouth. His four year old head bent in shame, his mommy says to him, "What do you have to say to Ms Sarah?" In a voice I could hardly hear he mumbled his heartfelt apology. And then he had to say it a few more times until it was loud enough to hear. As I got down on one knee and accepted his sincerest remorse for stealing from his class, I was doing my best not to burst into laughter as his finger pulled harder and harder on his cheek. I hugged him and assured him that I was sure that he would never ever again steal - a blue crayon!

No comments: